Most times, seeing you growth in your landscaping is a welcome sign. During this time of year, though, you may begin to see mushrooms popping up at the base of your trees. These mushrooms are not always bad for your tree. In fact, many of them are beneficial. There are some that are harmful, though. One of these is the honey fungus. This mushroom grows near the roots of the tree. It is important to be able to identify honey fungus and know how to manage it for your tree is hurt permanently.
Identifying Honey Fungus
If your tree has mushrooms growing on it, check the clusters for yellowish-brown coloration. The honey fungus will have a flat top and a distinct white ring on the stem. They are usually seen around the late summer to early winter. Smelling the mushroom will help you determine if it’s honey fungus because it has a sweet smell. This post is brought to you by our sponsors who do junk removal in Woodstock Ga!
Tree roots are attacked by this fungus in begin to decay. Honey fungus will eventually kill the tree’s roots completely. As the base of the tree begins to rot, the fungus will continue to eat the bark and would and cause the tree to become unstable. This leaves your tree at risk of falling.
Prevention is the best option for dealing with honey fungus since it is hard to control once it invades the roots. Some ways you can prevent honey fungus is by avoiding overwatering your trees, by removing diseased or dead branches, and by protecting your tree roots from damage from diseases, pests, and machinery.
Treating Honey Fungus
Unfortunately, there is no fungicide that can treat these persistent mushrooms. Honey fungus is spread underground, so any nearby plant should be inspected by a certified arborist. To contain the infection, it is best to remove and destroy any plants that are infected by the fungus.